Wednesday, October 18, 2006

winning tips for betting

With odds showing on the board, for each and every race you should thinking of playing:
1.) Ask the question "do I have an edge?" If yes, proceed. If no, skip the race.
2.) Ask the question "do I have value?" If yes, proceed. If no, skip the race.
3.) Examine carefully all of the wagering options for this race.
4.) Use the slot wagering strategy for exotic wagers.
5.) Can this be classified as a right situation? What are the right wagers for this situation?
Edge - ask the question "do I have an edge?" Is this a case that is clearly, without nagging reservations, one in which I feel strongly about my contender(s)? If there is any doubt lingering in my mind, I must skip the race.
To feel strongly about one or more contenders, it or they must in some way stand out above the others, such as being a "move" play or having a significant final fraction advantage, or both. To maintain a positive ROI I must be super-selective and feel completely comfortable with this race as a playable one that answers in the affirmative the first 2 questions of edge and value.
Value - ask the question "does this race present enough value?" Playing the thoroughbreds with the intention of making money and maintaining a positive ROI (as opposed to playing for "action" or recreation) is a speculative venture, much like investing in stocks or commodities. The potential return on my money has to be worth the risk.
Establishing Value Lines is extremely useful in determining value situations. If a win proposition (or propositions) has near-post odds of greater than my value line, the win bet is a go.
Wagering Options - once I have answered "yes" to the questions of edge and value, I'm ready to proceed with construction of wagers. I must examine a checklist of all available wagers to make sure I come up with the most appropriate for the situation at hand. For example, if the race in question were the 9th at Belmont Park, my checklist would include: win, win-place, exacta, trifecta, and superfecta as potential plays. I would then structure wagers according to the situation, which would include field size, number of contenders and preference from among the contenders.
Slot Wagering Strategy - if exotic wagers - exacta, trifecta, or superfecta are part of the wagering plan, then I will fill the win/place/show/4th slots with the contenders according to preference for each.
Right Situation and Wagers - is this a "right" situation, and if so, what wager(s) fit(s) this particular situation?
Right Situations
Small field - less than 7 entries - maximum of 3 contenders and no periphery plays
Mid-size field - 7-8 entries - maximum of 3 contenders and 1 periphery play
Large field - 9-12 or more entries - maximum of 3 contenders and 2 periphery plays
Small Field
3 contenders - preference of 1 over the others - bet the top choice to win at my value line or higher; key in 2 slots in the exacta and/or 2 or 3 slots in the trifecta (1/2-3, and lesser on 2-3/1 for the exactas; 1/2-3-4/2-3-4, and lesser on 2-3-4/1/2-3-4, and 2-3-4/2-3-4/1 for the trifectas if playable)
3 contenders - preference of 2 over the other - decide whether to bet to win on higher odds of top 2 picks at my value line or higher, or both if odds on each are minimum 8-1; key both in top 2 slots in exacta and/or trifecta plays as described above
3 contenders - like all equally - bet highest odds to win providing that horse is at or above my value line; box all in exacta if all 6 combinations pay at least $35; box all in the trifecta only if the odds of all 3 contenders total at least 15
Mid-size and Large Fields
The same basic process is used for these situations as for the small field situations. There should be no more than 3 contenders and 1 or 2 periphery plays, respectively. Review and decide on the proper wagers, including the win wager, and which of the contenders should be in which slots.

No comments:

Blog Archive